Keep your family entertained for cheap
You don't need a lot of money to have fun. Chances are, you can have a great time without spending much or even leaving your neighborhood. Here are our top 10 low-cost ways to entertain yourself and your family.
1. Visit your library. More than just books, these institutions boast a plethora of cheap ways to have fun. Most now allow you to check out movie DVDs, see free guest speakers, read a wide variety of magazines or newspapers, and offer free activities for kids, such as reading clubs, contests and story telling.
2. Go to the park. Bring a ball or kite, a picnic lunch and make a day of it. Check whether your park hosts free or low-cost events, such as plays or concerts.
3. Work on your garden. Spending time immersed in nature is a perfect way to relax, and good exercise too. Put in a vegetable patch, or just fix up your yard with lawn chairs, a sand box or flower garden to make it more inviting for the whole family.
4. Use your computer. Find websites and podcasts on any topic you enjoy. Create photo slideshows, or research your family history. Take this opportunity to show your kids how to explore online safely.
5. Volunteer. Introduce your kids to community service, and show them how to give back. Even young children can take part in outdoor activities like planting trees. Older teenagers can help build playgrounds or homes with organizations such as Habitat for Humanity.
6. Teach your kids a new skill. Impress your kids with how much you know while giving them skills they can use for life. Are you fluent in another language? Do you enjoy painting, or repairing cars? You'll get to spend time with your kids - and maybe even rediscover a neglected hobby.
7. Organize a block party. Talk to your neighbors about having a potluck barbeque, and plan fun, safe activities for the kids. Not only is this an inexpensive way to have fun that the whole neighborhood can appreciate, but you'll probably make some new friends, and foster a sense of community.
8. Make your own movie. Get the whole family involved in writing a short film, making the costumes and creating sets. Then use your digital camera to film it all. You'll spark your kids' creativity - and your own.
9. Learn a new sport or instrument. Have you ever wanted to play the guitar or try beach volleyball? Get started by buying used instruments or gear. Check online for free video lessons or tips, or find out if there are low-cost sports leagues in your community.
10. Become a member. Do you love the museum, the theatre or the zoo? If you're a frequent visitor, membership can help you save money on admission prices or special events. And if you have a Bank of America ATM, debit or credit card, the Museums on Us® program can get you free admission on the first full weekend of every month.
Don't let yourself be limited by this list. Check your local newspaper, city or county website, or municipal newsletter for other inexpensive ways to have fun in your community.
What's next? 10 ways to save money
Some accounts and services, and the fees that apply to them, vary from state to state. Please review the information for your state in the Personal Schedule of Fees (at www.bankofamerica.com/feesataglance or at your local Banking Center) and in the Online Banking Service Agreement at www.bankofamerica.com/serviceagreement.